With a slightly bitter-but-sweet flavour and spicy greens, turnips are a wintertime treat. Use our guide to make the most of them.
- Do not wash until ready to use.
- Separate from their green tops (otherwise the greens will draw out moisture).
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator, unless a root cellar is an option.
- Store the greens as you would hearty greens in the refrigerator.
- Wash, peel and chop, blanch, cool, and pack in an airtight container.
Root to Fruit
- Turnip greens are edible. These have a great spicy flavor and can be quickly sautéed or steamed.
- Turnips do not need to be peeled before eating.
- Turnips can be pickled.