Dark green kale is a nutritional powerhouse. Make the most of this bitter, hearty green with our guide.
- Do not wash until ready to use.
- Remove twist ties and store loosely, with a damp cloth, in an airtight container in the high-humidity drawer of the refrigerator.
- Blanch, immerse in ice water, drain, dry, and then place in an airtight container.
Root to Fruit
- The firmer stems do not need to be tossed aside. They can be blended into a smoothie, sliced into a salad, sautéed, or roasted.
- Soak wilted greens in a bowl of ice water for 5 to 10 minutes to revive crispness.
- Kale stems can be blanched and made into a pesto. They can also be prepared right along with the leaves.