Leftover Sunday Roast Pasties
The recipe is completely versatile and can be adapted to include whatever ingredients you have left from your roast dinner. It will be great to have different pasties with seasonal vegetables throughout the year. For best results keep your leftover veg in the fridge with your roast until you need them for this recipe.
- Prep Time: 1h
- Serves: 1
- 1/2 pack ready roll short crust pastry
- 100 grams chicken, lamb or pork, cooked and cut into 1/2 inch dice
(This recipe works perfectly with frozen meat. Check what you have in your freezer and defrost meat thoroughly before cooking)
- 1/2 cooked carrot
- 1 cooked roast potato
- 1/3 cup cooked turnip
- 1/4 cup cooked peas
(Use up what you have. Broccoli, asparagus, peas and all bean varieties can be used instead)
- 3 teaspoons leftover gravy
- 1 egg
- Remember to defrost your meat. Defrost in the fridge and use within 24 hours, or in a microwave on ‘defrost’ directly before use. (This recipe works perfectly with frozen meat. Check what you have in your freezer and defrost meat thoroughly before cooking.)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Use a large mixing bowl, take the cooked carrot and crush it between your fingers into the bowl, repeat with the swede and potato, and stir in the meat, peas and gravy. Stir until evenly mixed.
- Take the ready rolled pastry and cut out a circle about 10 inches across (alternatively you can use a medium sized dinner plate to cut around). Firmly pack the filling along the centre line leaving a 1 inch margin at the edges.
- Brush all around the edge of the pastry with the beaten egg. Carefully lift up both sides of the pastry so that they meet at the top, then pinch them together to seal, ensuring there are no gaps.
- Carefully lift onto a grease proof lined baking tray. Now brush the entire pasty with the egg wash. Bake for 45 minutes until golden.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Remember to freeze any portions you don’t eat this time to save them from going in the bin. A great time saver for a simple meal another day when you may be busy. Simply defrost in the fridge and use within 24 hours.