Sweet Potato and Chive Biscuits
Keeps for the day of, or can be stored up to 6 months in the freezer.
- Total Time: 35min
- Yield: 8 biscuits
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream or yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk or plant-based unsweetened milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar, honey, or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup well-mashed regular potatoes or sweet potatoes
- 2 1/2 cups AP flour
- 1 cup grated cheese (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease or line a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, sour cream, milk and sugar if using.
- In another bowl, whisk flour with baking powder, soda, and salt.
- Stir in mashed potatoes into wet mixture until well combined. Then stir in flour mixture until you have a shaggy dough.
- Stir/fold in grated cheese, if using, until combined. Fold in the chopped chives.
- With hands knead for a minute until you have a dough that is not sticky. Add a little more flour if necessary. Transfer to a floured clean surface and pat or roll dough until it is about an inch high. Cut dough into 8 wedges or punch out dough with round cookie cutters. You can re-roll scraps (they won’t look so nice baked up BIUT will taste just as good).
- Place on greased or lined baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes (depending on size of biscuits) or until puffed and golden brown.
Source: Christine Tizzard