This delicious lasagne can be varied to use up whatever you have on hand. This recipe is enough for a big lasagne so if you only have a few people to feed, halve the ingredients for a smaller lasagne or divide into two separate dishes and freeze one, ready for next time!
- Total Time: 1h 35min
- Serves: 6
- Dash of olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 450g lean minced beef (or lamb, pork, turkey)
- 250g finely chopped vegetables (e.g. carrot, capsicum, mushrooms, courgette)
- 4-6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 good pinches pepper
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 500ml milk
- 1½ tablespoons cornflour
- 50g cheddar, grated + 20g cheese to top
- 300g lasagne sheets
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC.
- Heat oil in a large pan, cook the onions until lightly browned then add the mince, stirring until it is cooked.
- Add the mixed vegetables, garlic, herbs, pepper and tomatoes. Mix well, turn down the heat, cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dissolve the cornflour and a pinch of pepper into a dash of milk. Heat the rest of the milk in a pan. When it is nearly boiling turn down the heat, stir in the cornflour mixture and stir until it has thickened. Stir in 50g of cheese.
- In a lightly oiled ovenproof dish (around 5-6cm deep) spread a spoon of the meat sauce then add a layer of lasagne, top with a layer of the filling and a little cheese sauce, then another layer of lasagne, making 3-4 layers in all, ending with a final layer of lasagne, spread with the last of the cheese sauce and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Allow it to rest for 10-15minutes before serving as this enables the lasagne to set and makes it easier to cut.
- This dish is delicious for lunch the next day. Store in an airtight container or wrap, and place in the fridge. Heat thoroughly before serving.
- Don’t lose track while you’re cooking, click on an ingredient or step to tick it off so you know where you are up to.
Source: LFHW New Zealand