Leftover ‘Limp Carrot’ Cake
This unique carrot cake recipe uses cooked carrots instead of raw carrots. Give it a go next time you have leftover cooked carrots.
- Total Time: 1h 10min
- Serves: 12
- 1 3/4 cups self-raising flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 eggs
- 1¼ cups soft brown sugar
- 1 cup cooked carrot, pureed or finely chopped
- ½ cup crushed pineapple
- ¾ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 cup coconut
- 1/2 cup neutral oil (eg vegetable, sunflower)
- 75g cream cheese or cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°c. Grease and line a 20cm round cake pan.
- Sieve the flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda into a large bowl.
- Whisk together the eggs with the sugar, vanilla, carrot, pineapple, walnuts, coconut and oil.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the flour, mix well until evenly combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in the pan before turning out.
- For the topping, beat together the cream cheese or cottage cheese with the vanilla and icing sugar until smooth. Spoon the icing onto the top of the cake and spread with a knife.