Whole Apple Crumble
Apple crumble is a classic, but it is even better in the apple! No waste whole apple crumbles make perfect individual desserts for the fall season!
- Prep Time: 30min
- Cook Time: 45min
- Total Time: 1h 15min
- Yield: Makes 8 whole apple crumbles
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour or gluten free flour of choice
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- Optional: ½ tsp ground ginger or 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 cup rolled oats
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, cold
- 8 baking apples, such as Honeycrisp, Granny Smith or Golden Delicious
- Preheat your oven to 350° F.
- In a large bowl, combine oat flour, AP flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger (if using), brown sugar and oats. With your hands or pastry cutter, mix in cold butter with flour mixture until it forms crumbs.
- Cut ½ inch off the tops of the apples and save. Remove the core/seeds and discard. Scoop out the apple and keep flesh, leaving a 2 cm border around the edge. A melon baller is a good tool for this.
- Dice scooped out apple and remaining apple tops and combine with the crumble mixture.
- Place apples on a lined baking pan and press crumble mixture (about 1/3 cup per apple) into the apples and evenly over the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until apples are tender and the crumble is golden.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.